Assistant Preschool Teacher
Location: The Willows Nursery School, San Jose, California
Start Date: Immediately
The Willows Nursery School, located in the Willow Glen neighborhood of San Jose, seeks an assistant preschool teacher for a mixed-age program for 3-5 year old children. This is a 5-day morning program position, with the potential for full-time employment for the 2018/19 school year.
Responsibilities & Duties
• Have curiosity and a desire for life-long learning.
• Assist in planning and preparing the learning environment, materials, and curriculum necessary for a play-based learning environment.
• Collaborate with colleagues in a relational, co-teaching work environment.
• Be responsive to children’s individual interests and ways of learning and exploring.
• Partner with families, honor family knowledge and culture, and invite community involvement and dialogue.
• Participate in weekly staff meetings.
• Accept specific roles and responsibilities assigned by the head teacher and director.
• A minimum of 6 semester units of Early Childhood Education or Child Development
• Previous experience volunteering or working with children in an early childhood program.
• Preferred: A working understanding of the Reggio Emilia Approach.
Interested applicants should respond with an introductory email and resume. Application review will begin immediately.
Contact Person: Natalie Kleefeld, email@example.com
The Willows Nursery School is a place where children, parents, and teachers are invited to explore, formulate questions, take on challenges, and deepen understandings. Curriculum is planned with primary consideration given to the needs and interests of the children. We are child-centered in our approach and are inspired by the municipal preschools of Reggio Emilia, Italy. We use pedagogical documentation in an effort to make the children’s thinking and work visible to the school community and beyond. We use documentation as the basis of reflection and planning for our emergent curriculum.